Large Gila Monster rescued from a pack rat trap in Green Valley 07212021

Large Gila Monster rescued from a pack rat trap in Green Valley 07212021

As I mentioned, I was out walking and saw this pack rat trap in a neighbor's yard and something was in it, but it did not look like a pack rat. I took a closer look, and saw that a large Gila Monster was in the trap. I compared markings with the Gila Monster I saw two days ago on Monday, and it could be the same one, but I am not certain. Anyhow, I knew I had to do something to set it free. I was worried that it might get wet or cold and possibly die. I went home and got a cultivator off of the wall, then called my neighbors and friends, Keith and Petra to see if they would come help me rescue this legendary lizard, and of course they agreed! Once they got there, we strategized, and just as we were about to execute our plan, a couple of my walking friends, Tom and Sherry happened by and witnessed our efforts. The video (thanks for shooting most of it Petra!) pretty much tells the rest. In all honesty, I was really hoping we would open the trap, back away and it would crawl back in to it's den. In the end, it required me to be much closer to the Gila Monster than I was comfortable with, but I am glad we were able to get it completely out of the trap and see it go back in to it's den! Thanks again to Keith and Petra for their willingness to help and their actual help. Thanks to Tom and Sherry for their moral support and for witnessing the whole process! Finally, thanks to the Gila Monster for not hurting me or even hissing! I hope the Gila Monster knew we were there to help it and was not too stressed by the rescue. I hope you can watch the whole thing, but if not, please watch as much as you can, then jump to the last 1:30 to close the book on this rescue.

Green Valley AZTucsonPima County

Post a Comment

0 Comments